Monday, February 21, 2005

Nomenclature Like Book 1-2E

I hardly ever refer to my own books by their real title. Perhaps you have noticed. Maybe I should pitch the titles a little more often and I try to when I am talking to people about my writing. It is just that I tend to use a shorthand when I write about writing. It is not intended to be a private code. I don't think it is too hard to follow.

Book 1 would logically also be Book 1-1E but I do not designate first edition versions as such. By default the first printing is first edition. What I am working on right now is Book 1-2E, the second edition of Book 1.

Where the nomenclature becomes essoteric is when you reach the second series. Book 7 refers to the actual sequence at the books were written. Book 2S-1 is the second series Book 1 which is also the same thing as Book 7. Since there is a series title change it probably will be designated as Book 2S-1. Of course Book 1 of the first series would also blogically be Book 1S-1 and what I am working on right now is Book 1S-1-2E. Again since it is the first series the 1S designation can be omitted as it is understood that the first series is 1S.

Book 8 is also Book 2S-2 and Book 9 is Book 2S-3. Book 10 is not in any series at all as it is a stand alone prequel to the first series. I could be ridiculous and call it Pre-1S Book. Then what would Book 11 be, Post-2S Book. No I think once I have left the serialized sequences the books will be referred to in the sequential order of their actual composition or alternatively by their complete title or some derivative declination of the full title, sich as Specter of Dammerwald (a.k.a. Book 10) is also called Dammerwald. I have not tyet called it Specter. I doubt I will but that is also an optional shorthand for the full title.

I may also refer to the Wolf Story. That originated from the stand-alone book that I wrote while Book 1 was in final edits and revision. It was only after I was written, revised and edited The Wolf Story that I decided to incorporate it into the first series, beginning in Book 2. I had felt that Book 1 was way too far along to start a major revision. It works out better for the overall flow. As it happened I inserted a couple of linkage sections to better tie into the Wolf Stuff. They then spawned a sequence of changes and an extension of plot that necessitated the second series. There is a continuation of the Wolf Story in the second series but as it was written into the series from the outset and never a stand-alone book I have never designated it otherwise.

The stand alone Wolf Story differs somewhat from the version that was incorporated into the first series. I have an early version although it was the first one that was revised and edited prior to making the rough edges fit into the plot of the series. I no longer have the very first version. I think Ela'na may have it on her computer, the one that does not work. She may have lost it along with the crashed hard drive, though. It is no great loss to the world of literature except thast it might have been of some passing interest to someone in the future that might have wanted to know where this or that character came from. A lot of the names were changed before the storyline was incorporated into the series.

I am making progress on Book 1-2E. It is better. It will be mainly error free and easier to read. I also think it may lose a few more pages before I am done with it. So for those of you who love Book 1, both of you (just kidding) your copies may one day be rare, especially if you have one of the ones that I signed.

Hey, allow me to dream. This IS my Blog.

E

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home