Sunday, February 20, 2005

Superlative Thoughts

When I was a kid I used to get into lengthy discussions with friends at school over such things as who would in in a duel between Superman and Batman or who is prettier Ginger or Mary Anne on Gilligan's Island. Come to think of i I never did arrive at the definitive answer to that last one. As for the previous one, I think Batman carried a little krytonite in his utility belt, just in case Superman ever got all bad and cocky around the Halls of Justice.

I usually avoid superlatives. It is like staking out a territory that you have to defend from ever which way. We all do it though. Which is better a Chevy or a Ford. Er uh, where are all thhe other car manufacturers in the world?

By the way, Ford is really an anagram although I have never determined which is the real meaning: Found On Road Dead or Fix Or Repair Daily.

Chevrolet is tricky. You might not think that it is an anagram but it really is: Constantly Having Every Vehicle Recalled Over Lousy Engineering Techniques.

I don't know why but it seems to me that men get into the superlative discussions. I know you may be thinking that men are always so competitive. Well, excuse me but females are just as competitive but perhaps in more subtle and devious ways. Women probably aren't as prone to the superlative discussions as men. I know they have them. It is human nature after all to use comparisons to organize the sum total of all perceived data.

What distinguishes a woman from a man, other than the obvious primary and secondary sexual attributes is the way that we establis priorities. Men and women are perhaps the most different when it comes to priorities.

If you have ever spent any time studying human psychology you know that there are a lot of pretty basic motives at work under the craniums of each and every one of us. After you have analyzed, scrutinized and told lies about the various observed and dissected behaviors of everyone around you, it is pretty obvious that somewhere in the process of learning all about the concensus on how we tick you have totally pissed off all but your closest circle of friends and your family. The later had no recourse but to accept you and love you.

I just thought of a superlative that I am comfortable with. Writing is the stupidest thing that a human could ever do. That is defendable. I have some direct experience. On a hourly wage basis, even if I were to make millions of dollars from my efforts it would be pennies per hour. Writing just does not make sense in economic terms but then again that is not a writer writes.

If you do not understand how someone could possibly be engaged in doing what even he believes is the stupidest thing that anyone could possibly do, then you do not understand creativity at all.

E

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home