Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Comments To Posts and Other Housekeeping Matters

I would like for readers to make comments to the blog posts. I receive emails of the comments and can reply. There is no immediate benefit to emailing me directly and in fact some of the comments that I have received may have been of interest to other readers. Sometimes I may reply directly to some subjects. Feel free to email me with suggested discussion topics. That is really why my email address appears on my profile.

I have been considering removing some of the earlier blog material. Any favorites that you have let me know I will keep them on the active blog while removing the others. I may repost older material later on. I really want to keep the blog fresh and despite the volume of promotional material I have posted as excerpts from books, I believe the majority of this blog is fresh material, written since January 10, 2005. I have posted a couple of short stories that I have written since October, 2004 and a lot of the other material came from a book in progress that is a collection of my shorter works. A lot of that was written or at least revised within the last year. I have been attempting some experimental things in this blog. To me this is still a public journal more than anything else.

Lately as I have been engaged in revising Book 1 I have been amazed at how much my writing style has evolved. I suppose some of the change is the natural result of having the first book or two in print. The writing tends to flow from a greater self confidence. It is not that I believe that the things that I write are in final form it is just that I understand that regardless how messed up and diverted from the intended course my writing may wander, I can always fix it. I mention this because I have already received a couple of comments to the effect that my Books are different than my blog style of writing.

In response this is a narrower production window. I may edit some posts after their original post but generally I have a day to put up a blog entry. It takes weeks or even months to do a short story. It can take years to write a book. The quickest I have ever written anything of book length was 13 weeks.

There is a piece I have written that is a novella. It appears in what will be Book 12. I was thinking of posting a chapter (or section) from it each night until it has all been posted. In the meantime I will have time to complete what I was doing with Book 1. I want to read through Book 2 again and do some of the same sort of thing with cleaning up typos and fixing mistakes however there really isn't a lot wrong with Book 2.

How about some insider information that I no one knows (except for me of course)?

"Solarium", the first section of Episode Two: A Game of Hangman (a.k.a. Book 2) is a composite of several other short pieces I was working on as early as 1977. Parts of it are amongst the oldest material from which the series evolved.

The descriptive piece at the beginning of the first section was adapted from a creative writing exercise composed when I was a student at Purdue University. I may be wrong - I have been before - but I think that is the oldest part of the series. The first sixty or so pages are an amalgam of the oldest and the newest material (to the time that Book 2 was in revision). I wrote about 80% of the actual storyline in one sitting and it was after I had tried to find a way to bridge the material at the end of Book 1 with the Wolf storyline that I had composed while Book 1 was in limbo at the publisher.

E

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home