Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Fear of Exposure

Last night my daughters and I were playing with a home movie camera. We had a very nice Sony on clearance at work and the price seemed too good to pass up, even though I could not afford it and probably did not need it. I think between they four of us we will use it.

As the 'special dad' I have other cameras, of course but both of them are VHS-C format. The 'new' one is Mini DV, which means that it can stream video clips onto a computer for editing and the result can then be burned onto a DVD, SVCD or VCD and played back in most DVD Players. So that will lead to a series of future projects to complete before all of my kids have left the nest: The Limited Edition Williams Clan Home DVD.

Amanda has inherited several of my less endearing qualities. She shares my disdain for being on camera so that there has been a dirge of photos, expecially recent ones. She suffers from my penchant for saying stupid things. As I matured and gained in both comfort around people and social experience that turned out to be a more endearing quality as the things that I said tended to be turned self-deprecating and often seemed more relevant and sometimes even astute. In any case, I am not concerned about how Amanda is in the here and now. She is a very good student and actively participates in her school's theater department as a stage technician. She also has a very good eye for graphic arts.

Sarah is quite an artist herself. She does some amazing things with whatever she had to work with. Yesterday she brought home a box that she made from paper with the requirement of using three dimensional shapes. I am blown-away that he came up with something like she created. I'll try to get a photo of it today and post it. It is rather hard to describe. For a Latin project she did a painting using acrylics. It is a very good effort for the first time and does noit appear that it was the first experience with the medium.

Sarah is more socially oriented, perhaps even more so than her brother Rob.

I suspect that my daughters acquired the artistic gene from my mother's side of the family. Their mother Jina is also very talented. She can design and sew a dress from scratch without a pattern. She has also created art from colored threads that adorn the walls in the house. I'll post some pictures as examples.

You'd think that I would be a little more artistic. I can draw diagrams and in a pinch I can do something more artistic like a pencil drawing of a face. That is the extent of my talent in that way. My son tends to be more like me. If we have something to express we opt for the word. Rob tends to be more verbal and I am.

I was always quiet as a kid. I grew up in the country. I joke and say that it was two miles from nothing. That really is not the actual case but it is not too far from the truth. I was forced to be a loner for much of my childhood just because there were no neighbor kids - actually few if any neighbors. My dad had people that worked for him that had children but they were usually very young and not interested in the things that I wanted to do. Even though it is fictionalize to the point of being unrecognizable from the facts, the core essence of the story "In The Way of Humanity" is true. When I was very young I grew up playing with a family of African-American children and their father did save my life when I was a toddler.

Certain people bring out the humorous side of my nature. I am prone to saying extremely off the wall things with a dead-pan delivery that breaks up the monotony of the moment. I am also a notorious practical joker. I will plot for months before delivering the perfect retaliation. In the end it doesn't even matter if I am given credit for the joke. Due to the nature of some of the jokes, it was probably wise to remain anonymous.

My practical jokes did not go unrewarded. (See: The Curse)

E

For more information on books, go to www.acbooks.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home