Saturday, May 07, 2005

Oops Forgot

I just returned from picking up my daughters from the local (crappy) movie theater out on Satellite Beach. They wanted to see Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy yet again. They have each now seen it twice which equals me although I did not willfully see it twice. I would have been good with having only seen it once, except at the second viewing I stayed for the credits and saw the little piece that I remembered would have been missing from the book otherwise. Nice touch.

Anyway, as we were returning from the movie and listening to the Real Rock 101.1 station in Orlando

http://www.realrock1011.com

my youngest daughter, Sarah realized that today was the Earth Day Birthday concert, hence also my birthday. That coincidence had been pointed out when the rock station first announced the show. Since there are no coincidences my daughters believed it was a sign that this year we should all go see the concert in honor of my birthday. We did not. I had to work; I am poor. (See rock station's web site for bands - it was a show to see but one I had to miss.)

Anyway as there was some to-do about the concert on the radio that was the only memory jog needed for them both to suddenly realize at 9:36PM that it was my birthday and had been all day and they had forgotten it completely.

Once we had made it back home, Amanda hastily noticed a Valentine's Day card that she had send to me that was still lying on top of the counter in the kitchen (hey it has only been what a couple of months give or take a half?) Anyway she snatched it up and hastily scribbled her birthday sentiments as an appendum to her Valentine's Day offerings.

Sarah produced a new though conspicuously hastily contrived card. On the front it reads 'Happy Birthday Dad!' Inside it reads, "Sorry I forgot about your b-day until about 9:36PM. Yeah..... bummer..... I'll get you a funnier card from the belated section of the CVS store tomorrow. Love (with a heart), Sarah. She added a drawing at the bottom stating beside it that she got bored.

Note: My daughters told my son and he decided to tell me that he had surreptitiously bought a pail of ice cream in honor of the event but he had been so hungry earlier that he had consumed at least half of it already. Oops, sorry.

Jina never remembers my birthday. Whenever I forgot hers in 1993 it was a huge issue but I think the last time she remembered my birthday was when I was in the hospital in 1995. What a helluva birthday was that!

Honestly I do not purposely make a big deal out of my birthday. I have been through enough of them to satisfy me for more than a lifetime. I would willfully take the next ten off, thank you.

Anyway, don't bother me with any apologies. If I really mattered to you then you would have remembered. Alas, I am only like you, someone that will never remember your birthday either.

Happy Birthday to me,
I rate like a flea.
All the dogs in the world,
They all bite at me.

I told you I suck at poetry/lyrics. That, my friends is as close as I will ever come to being a poet.

E

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home